Track & Field

Syracuse opens the outdoor season in California and Florida

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Colin Bennie completed his best 10,000-meter run in almost a year with a time of 29:20.56.

Syracuse began its outdoor season this weekend as the distance runners traveled to California for the Stanford Invitational and the sprinters took part in the Florida Relays. Freddie Crittenden led the way for the Orange in Florida and finished third in the 110-meter hurdles at 13.66 seconds.

At Stanford, Madeleine Davison and Aidan Tooker paced the women and men in the 5000-meters, finishing sixth and eighth, respectively. Davison, a freshman, finished her first collegiate race with a time of 16:37.94. Fellow freshman Tooker raced to a time of 14:04.91 for the Syracuse men, about four seconds behind first-place finisher Ryan Thomas of Columbia.

In Florida, Crittenden’s third-place finish comes a year after he finished eighth in the 110-meter hurdles at last year’s event. The senior finished just one one-thousandth of a second ahead of fourth-place finisher EJ Lovett of the Virgin Islands. It was Crittenden’s first race since taking silver in the 60-meter hurdles at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship.

At the Stanford Invitational, Sydney Leiher took sixth in the 3000-meter steeplechase and Paige Stoner finished 18th in the women’s 10,000-meter run. For the men, sophomore Colin Bennie completed his best 10,000-meter run in almost a year with a time of 29:20.56.

Cheyenne Trigg and Ebhani Blackwood got the Orange started on Thursday at the Relays in Florida, finishing 14th and 19th in the open section of the Women’s 400-Meter Dash. Two events later, Danielle Delgado finished 11th in the 400-Meter Hurdles open event, crossing with a time of 1:01.13. Later on during the weekend, Kadejhia Sellers took home a 13th place finish in the Women’s collegiate 400-Meter Dash with a time of 53.89 seconds. The mark set a new outdoor personal-record for the sophomore New Jersey native.

Syracuse takes the track next on April 7 at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton, where the distance group will compete. The sprinters will travel to Coral Gables, Florida, where they’ll participate in the Hurricane Alumni Invitational on April 8.